The 17th Annual Conference of the European China Law Studies Association will be held in Helsinki, Finland, from 20 to 22 September 2023. The conference will be hosted and organized by the Faculty of Law, University of Helsinki in cooperation with the Finnish Center of Chinese Law and Chinese Legal Culture.
The ECLS is dedicated to advancing comparative and interdisciplinary research on Chinese law in Europe. The annual conference of the ECLS gathers scholars, legal practitioners and policymakers from all over the world. It is a leading international academic forum for the debate on the development of Chinese law, as well as a platform for the initiation of research collaboration.
The Annual Conference Organizing Committee is now inviting submissions. The 2023 ECLS Annual Conference will highlight legal issues relating to the topics below. Please note that submissions are not necessarily limited to the listed topics.
- Legal Issues of EU-China Relations
- China in the International Legal Order
- Legal Culture, Legal Traditions and Rule of Law Development
- Legal Aspects of the Belt and Road Initiative
- Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure
- Gender Equality in China
- International Human Rights Protection and the Chinese Legal System
- Chinese Law, COVID and the Emergency/Pandemic Preparedness
- Chinese Policy and Presence in the Arctic
- Sustainable Development and the Role of Regulation
- Legal and Economic Issues of International Investment
- Developments in Corporate and Commercial Law
- Cyber Security, Data Privacy and Personal Information Protection
- Artificial Intelligence and Ethics, Big Data and Intellectual Property Law
- Social Credit and the Law, Judicial Reforms and Smart Courts
- Labour Law Developments, Decent Work and Fundamental Labour Rights
- Administrative Law and Administrative Procedure
- China’s Environment, Climate Change and Air Pollution Laws and Policies
Guidelines for Submission
The conference invites submissions of paper abstracts and panel proposals by 19 March 2023, noting that all submissions will be peer-reviewed. Notification of acceptance will be given by 19 April 2023. Full papers should not exceed 8,000 words, and be submitted by 18 June 2023.
Submissions should be entered via the submission page.
Paper Abstracts and Panel Proposals
Abstracts should be limited to 300 words for a paper and panel proposals should be limited to 1,000 words for a panel session. The submissions should include: 1) the title of the paper or panel; 2) name, institution and email address of the author(s); 3) up to five keywords.
Young Scholars Roundtable
The conference welcomes abstracts and proposals from young researchers (PhD candidates, MA students, etc.). Young scholars’ sessions will be organized as roundtables to be moderated by senior researchers.
March 19, 2023 – Submission of abstracts/panel proposals
April 19, 2023 – Notification of acceptance
June 18, 2023 – Submission of full papers
The Conference will take place at the Main Building of the University of Helsinki, Unioninkatu 34, 00100 Helsinki, Finland.
Conference participants will be responsible for their own travel and accommodation costs. Relevant practical information will be provided in due course.
For enquiries regarding submissions, please contact Professor Björn Ahl (firstname.lastname@example.org). Other enquiries concerning visa issues or logistics are to be addressed to Ms. Ngoc Pham (email@example.com).
More information and updates may be found on the website of the hosts in Helsinki.